Thursday, November 13, 2008

To ravel or not to unravel.

Okay, another sewing conundrum accompanied by a vocabulary one...

I am making a pair of jeans, also for my Senior Collection of course. Here's the catch. They have a seam that travels from the hem all the way up the balance line of each leg. Then in the vicinity of the hip level line, these two seams make a 90 degree turn towards one another, meeting at center front. The very last thing I want to do is compromise my design. However, I want them to be finished very professionally and be as durable and easy-wearing as any other pair of jeans. The issue I'm anticipating is difficulty finishing these seams, seeing as I will bust them flat and then clip them.

Options I have considered are:

-I could overlock the seam and then clip.
-A friend suggested experimenting with bias tape, and finishing the clipped edge with that (something very lightweight).
-I could overlock everything BUT the curved area, as it will be on the bias, and shouldn't ravel unravel ravel. On a side note: are ravel and unravel interchangable? It sure seems that way to me. I tend to fill in the blank with UNravel, but others differ I have noticed.
-Fray check is not an option.
-Give up. (just kidding geez!).

If I absolutely must compromise my design (which I shouldn't have to), I do have a fairly decent backup plan which is to create this style line with a pintuck instead. I am planning to do samples of each, just incase one proves to be blatantly better.

Would love to hear any thoughts!

2 comments:

Carly said...

I think the easiest way to do it would be to serge the edge like the side seams on jeans are done. Then you could top stitch it to help it lay flat. Or not if you don't want to. I also talked to my boss and we came up with a pretty good idea. You could make a regular seam with 1/8" seam allowance. Iron it open and then glue tape along the back side like a wind breaker. It would be flat, stable and durable. viola!

Jessie said...

Great suggestion Carly! You are inventive! I like the glue tape idea. I will look into it and report back. Thanks!