Monday, March 31, 2008

Bobbi Clothes

I went to a fun fashion show tonight -- my dear friend Susanna's soon to be siser in law Barbara has a line called Bobbi Clothes, and she showed her newest pieces in a gallery in the meatpaking district. I've been a little bored with the fashion I've seen lately, I think partly because of over-exposure, but also perhaps because everything seems so derivative -- with the economy the way it is, everyone is playing it safe.
Barbara's clothes -- or more accurately, her textiles, which she creates herself, were a welcome change. Everything was hand-dyed, in washy, tie-dyed variations, in a wide-ranging but still very cohesive palette -- a combination of deep intense earthy and jewel tones. Printed on top of that were designs in lighter and brighter colors. The designs were all at once nintendo/cross-stitch/cave painting/various other things, which, although it sounds crazy, worked brilliantly with the tie-dyed base.
It made me think a lot about context. In Portland the show would have been downright hippie. I probably even would have been a little annoyed by it. But here, it was amazing. It was fresh and a little punky and had a sort of grit to it that only comes from people living in a place that isn't easy.
More to come on that. Now I must sleep.

No comments: