Saturday, March 21, 2009

Half-Scale Dressforms

Well, I am looking at finally adding a dress form to my studio, and ran across some half-scale ones. I've heard of these, and find the concept pretty fascinating. First of all, they're fricking cute! Second of all, if you have one of these hanging out in your studio, you're looking pretty cool in my book. And third of all, can it really be possible to drape on one of these, simply double the size of the pattern, and presto... accurately fitting garment? I know they are used for many reasons, primarily for education and demonstrations, but a site I looked at suggested that it could be used to make a real, working pattern. As high quality as the dress form may be, I would imagine you would have to be an extremely meticulous stitcher and patternmaker in order for this to work. Any miniscule mistake you made in the pattern would then become twice the size! I'm curious if anyone has worked on one of these, and if they have any feedback. Cuz...I kinda like the idea! Imagine the amount muslin you would save!

6 comments:

Alyson Clair said...

What is the cost difference between them vs. regular sized forms?

They sure are cute.

Carly said...

Vionet worked on a half scale form. I've always wanted one. I imagine that the problems that they might have would mostly fall out in a fitting. But that's true of full size forms as well.

hannah said...

I've never really liked the idea of using them just because the translation to full size seems like an extra unnecessary step, and cuteness aside i think im still missing the point.
I think in cases such as Vionnet's she was working on the smaller form when she was experimenting with drape and bias, more than actually creating final patterns. That's just my impression though.
Jessie if you're looking for info on these there are two shops that sell them in the garment district right next to my work, i sent carly the contact info.

Jessie said...

I mostly find them entertaining, I'm not looking to buy one. Thanks though!

Anonymous said...

i love, love, love half scale dress forms...i think they are so cute...i have one that looks similar to yours...but more aged looking...
i am looking to purchase another...and would greatly appreciate any information anyone could give me on where to get one..preferable a vintage one...but a new one would be ok too...
thanks so much!
kelley
khcalloway@gmail.com

Anthony Young said...

It's true. An old classmate of mine draped a dress on a mini dress form, took her patterns to a copy place and made a real size dress.