Friday, September 19, 2008

Waxed Canvas

I'm looking for info on waxed canvas -- I had hoped to find some at the fabric markets in China -- I'd heard that they had EVERYTHING, but that wasn't the case. (Also, how do you say waxed canvas in Mandrin? It's hard to mime.) As I'm in NYC, I figure there has to be some somewhere, I just don't know where that is, and everyone I ask looks at me blankly. I've looked online, and can't find any either. Complicating the problem is that I only want a little bit for personal use, not production quantity.
Also, I was wondering if anyone had experience working with waxed canvas, and if there was ever a problem with the wax gumming up the sewing machine. I'e only used it once, and it didn't seem to be a problem, but it made me nervous. Any information would be great, thanks!

9 comments:

Jessie said...

I actually have some dark green waxed canvas that you gave me before you left. It's not a very big piece, but I will send it to you if it helps. I'm surprised beckel (sp?) can't help you get your hands on some.

hannah said...

Thanks Jesse! I actually wanted to make a raincoat, so you should keep that piece in case you decide to use it. That was the last bit I had gotten from rose city textiles...I remember asking for more and they couldn't get any more from their supplier. Everything I read on the internet is about how places are discontinuing their waxed cotton products.

Jessie said...

I wonder what it take to make waxed canvas. It seems like you could potentially make some. I mean it seems like you could find or dye canvas to the color you want, and then perhaps soak it in a thinned down, hot wax! Right?!

hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessie said...

Ah, valuable wax...

Carly said...

Waxwear brand fabrics is a great place to start. If you haven't found any by the time you come to portland, remind me to show you their swatch book. We have it at work. I know that both susanna and I have been wanting to order some things so maybe we could all go in on it together.

hannah said...

i would looove that. i cant wait to see that swatch book. lillian's boss had some that was mustard with black wax, so it wears amazingly..that's my dream waxed cotton. unfortunatley had to be ordered in mass quantitiies.

Lauren Bradshaw said...

hi there! i just found your blog today by way of fashion incubator. i am new to the process but am very determined to start production on a laptop bag i made for myself. all that to say, i really wanted to use waxwear! there's an amazing store in london called allycapellino (www.allycapellino.co.uk). i did a search today and found the website www.britishmillerain.com and it's been around since the 1880s! i hope it works out for you. i was really hoping to have this bag made but didn't think of the sewing problems it might cause. good luck!

Hannah said...

thanks lauren! can't wait to check it out.