Monday, June 30, 2008

Mina Perhonen

While I was in NY visiting Hannah we went to a Japanese book store that was devoted to all things Japanese. It had some pretty amazing Japanese pattern books but the highlight was discovering a series of three small books. They were the textile designs of Mina Perhonen and were divided into Woven, Print, and Embroidered, each having their respective book. I was blown away by her work. I think everybody should check it out so you can click on the title of this entry to go to her web sight, and I'm going to give you a teaser to encourage you to do so.

This one is wonderfully called licorice.


This one is titled tori-to-Hana



2 comments:

hannah said...

oh i'm glad you posted that, i'd been meaning to. not sure about the jacket thought. like the shape, but combined with the fabric it's kind of first-day-of-first-grade isn't it?

Carly said...

I think its fantastic. It makes me want to roll in leaves and pass notes on my first day in first grade. I also love that the fuzzy orange of the collar is obviously just in the collar. I always want to do that but I'm afraid it will look weird. I turns out that is does look weird and doesn't bother me at all.