Tuesday, July 29, 2008

is it me or the economy?

I went in to Opening Ceremony today, just for some inspiration - the store usually has a lot of pieces that I think are interesting, and it's fun to go in and try them on, or try to figure out how theyre constructed. I was disapointed though, I only found a few things that didn't seem run of the mill. Im not sure whether thats because I've been working with some of the most interesting designers in NYC lately -- between proenza's spring 09 collection, Nathan Jenden and alexander wang, there's a whole lot of extravagence and forward-thinking going on -- or because people generally are just making boring clothes right now, partly due to a crappy economy. I'm not sure which is worse. I certainly dont want to be a jaded fashionista after less than a year in NYC. But I hate seeing people make things that arent worth making....
Peter Pilotto was one of the designers whos pieces I needed to really inspect to figure out. This dress doesn't look too special, but notice the directions of the pleats and tucks. I'm sure the pattern looks a little bit like a lightning bolt.

I can't wait to post some of proenza's runway shots next month. I love almost everything we're working on, although i'm sure all my favorite pieces are show pieces for the runway only and will never be produced. ah well...

No comments: