Thursday, July 17, 2008

shirt buttons

I'm curious how you ladies, with all you button up shirt experience, pattern your button holes. I remember learning ages ago that when you have horizontal button holes you off-set then so that you only have 1/8" of the button hole sitting on the far side of the buttoned button, and the rest on the other side, because the shirt is constantly being pulled in that direction, and you want to make sure that the buttons still sit in the center of the placket. I realize this would be easier with some illustration, and the reason I'm writing this post is because I just learned a related way to pattern vertical buttons and then realized that the only way to demonstrate it is to sketch it out and then take a photo of it and I don't want to go to the trouble, so i want to know if you already know it. Nicolas says nobody does it anymore.
Basically you offset the top and bottom buttons in opposite directions and then keep all the other buttons centered. This keeps the placket tight.
Maybe that makes sense without the visuals?

No comments: